Thursday, July 9, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

For the 4th of July Boston and I decided to go to a real Atlantic Ocean beach for the first time together!  We went to Long Beach Island in New Jersey- it had a boardwalk, tons of beach entrances, lots of food and lots of fun things to do!  We got there mid-day, so we decided to rent a tandum bike, another first time adventure for us!  

We got to the rental shop and it didn't take very long for us to actually get it and get going around the island.  We rode along the street closest to the ocean, saw TONS of ice-cream trucks driving around the neighborhoods, and just cruised for our hour-long ride...6th St, 7th St, 8th St...We decided to set an alarm so that we'd get it back on time (no late fees please!), and turned around when we heard the phone alarm go off.  Well, we turned onto the main road to head back and said, "Uh... I think we're farther than we thought."  We just kept riding back towards the shop, but it seemed like we were still pretty far away.  We were still enjoying our ride, but it was getting close to the ending time, and we were determined not to pay any late fees!  So we peddled a little faster.  And a little faster.  And pretty soon we peddled so hard that when I lifted my feet off the peddles I couldn't find the footing to put them back on!  So we finally saw the shop just ahead, rode in, and the lady came out.  "Did you gys have fun?!" she asked.  Whew!!  I thought she may have been waiting for us by then!  I'm glad we missed out on the late fees after all.

After that we changed from our sweaty, stinky clothes from the bike-ride into our swimming suits to go for swim on the beach!  New Jersey beaches are different from SoCal beaches.  We went up to the beach entrance and saw "The Rules" sign on the fence.  It read

 "Do's-
 Rule #1: Do wear our beach badge at all times.
Rule #2: Do have fun..." Etc.

"Er-What's a beach badge?" I asked.  Boston didn't know either.  So what'd we do?  We went on the beach anyways.  Haha.  We set-up our towels and found a swimming area (they have designated swim and surf areas, you can't do the one in the other assigned area).  I went to go feel the water and just about froze my foot off!!  It was the coldest water I've ever felt at the beach, yet adults and children alike we completely swimming in it!  Boston doesn't even get phased by the water and just walks in like it's a bathtub!  He kept asking me to come in with him, but I told him I'd watch and get some sun bathing instead.  He swam what seemed like forever!  

Finally I got hungry, so I called him in and we decided to go for our restaurant plan.  It's a place called Chicken or the Egg- it has a bunch of artwork and signs inside with egg pictures and funny chicken-related sayings-it's a really fun atmosphere!  We got seated pretty quickly and took a look at the menu.  They are famous for their buffalo sauces- 15 of them!  They have a scale to measure the spiciness of the sauce from "Not Spicy" to "Burn Your Mouth Off."  We got to try a few of the flavors towards the bottom of the scale, and I was already sweating!  I can't imagine what the hottest one, "Ludacris," tastes like!  It's the #1 rated restaurant in LBI and we'd suggest it to whoever visits! 

The place was getting packed by the time we left with all the hungry beach 4th of Julyers.  We went across the street to the coolest beach  souvenir shop ever!  They had all kinds of clothing, sandals, key chains, and hats... you can imagine how long we were in there!  In the end, we decided to get matching sweatshirts and a blinking key chain that says "Blake" on the front and has "Long Beach Island" on the back for Boston's Mama and ourselves.  

The sweatshirts came in handy towards the end of our day when we sat on a bench for an hour and a half waiting for the fireworks show at the bay.  We were just able to talk for that time about our lives and think about different things.  It's nice to have those moments where there's nothing else to do but talk and be together.  Eventually we were joined by at least 100 other people (probably more) for the fireworks show.  It was huge...and lonnng!  We decided to get a head start out of the Island with having so many people there, so we watched the firework finale from our car.  Even though we tried to jump-the-gun getting out, we still ended up getting off the Island in 1 hour, driving only 5 miles!  We really liked going to the beach on the 4th, but don't recommend it for people who aren't big on crowds.  It was definitely a good day, I'm glad that I was able to spend it with my hubby  <3   

No comments:

Post a Comment