Friday, May 7, 2010

More on Behavioral Science Major

I told you guys I'd write about my major! Sorry it was a few more weeks than promised!

So Behavioral Science... what is it? To put it briefly, it's the study of why people behave in ways that they do. Wait a minute, you say... couldn't that also be described as psychology? Yes. Isn't it also anthropology? Yup! Isn't it in some ways Sociology? Indeed! You guys are clever!

In the major, you choose an emphasized study. The emphases are anthropology, psychology, family studies, social work, and sociology. I'm still in the process of choosing an emphasis, but I've got time to decide. I probably won't go with social work, but all 4 others choices are enticing! I've always been fascinated with the human mind, so psychology is always looking promising, but truthfully I've hardly sought out the other three. I've taken both psychology and sociology beginning courses in high school, and enjoyed both of them; however, I can tell that those classes were only a taste of what's out there in those fields. Thus, next semester I'm taking an Intro. to Psych class as well as an anthropology course. I'll probably take some kind of sociology class the next semester to feel things out a bit, unless I find acute interest in one of the former classes and don't have to take sociology to graduate. Either way I love school and am excited to be taking an array of courses! I really feel like this is what I want to do in terms of my education. It's exhilarating to finally know what your knack is!

Wish me well!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's awesome when you find something you really love to study! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete